This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Transthoracic two-dimensional echocardiography was used to measure left ventricular diameter in end-systole and end-diastole during anesthetic induction in 11 patients before coronary artery bypass grafting. Midazolam, 0.1 mg/kg, and fentanyl, 6 to 10 μg / kg, were used followed by pancuronium, 0.1 mg/kg. Lidocaine, 1.5 mg/kg, was given topically in the airways before intubation. During induction of anesthesia there was a gradual decrease in diastolic diameter (preload) and in systolic diameter and pressure (afterload). The decrease in end-diastolic diameter from 4.6 cm to 3.9 cm indicated a decrease in preload, defined as end-diastolic volume, by approximately 34%. These results are in agreement with earlier findings using calculated ventricular volumes, based on the determination of either ejection fraction with radionuclide cardiography or stroke volume with thermodilution, during induction of anesthesia with thiopental, diazepam, fentanyl, and pancuronium.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Changes in ejection fraction during induction of anesthesia with two different IV techniques.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1988; 32: 647-652
- Ultrasound measurements of the left ventricle. A correlative study with angiocardiography.Arch Intern Med. 1972; 129: 461-467
- Left ventricular end-systolic pressure estimated from measurements in a peripheral artery.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anest. 1991; 5: 551-553
- Ventricular function in children during halothane anesthesia: An echocardiographic evaluation.Anesthesiology. 1978; 49: 79-85
- Echocardiographic assessment of ventricular performance following induction with two anesthetics.Anesthesiology. 1978; 49: 86-90
- Echocardiographic analysis of human left ventricular diastolic volume and cardiac performance during halothane anesthesia.Anesth Analg. 1979; 58: 23-29
- The hemodynamic and cardiovascular effects of isoflurane and halothane anesthesia in children.Anesthesiology. 1986; 64: 328-333
- Pulsed Doppler and two-dimensional echocardiography: Comparison of halothane and isoflurane on cardiac function in infants and small children.Anesthesiology. 1987; 67: 211-217
- Nitrous oxide: Cardiovascular effects in infants and small children during halothane and isoflurane anesthesia.Anesth Analg. 1988; 67: 1059-1064
- Cardiovascular responses to induction of anaesthesia with thiopentone and suxamethonium in infants and children.Anaesth Intens Care. 1988; 16: 278-284
- Cardiovascular changes during deep halothane anaesthesia in infants and children.Anaesth Intens Care. 1988; 16: 285-291
- Hemodynamic effects of rectal methohexitone for induction of anaesthesia in children.Can J Anaesth. 1989; 36: 5
- Hemodynamic effects of rectal methohexitone for induction of anaesthesia in children.Can J Anaesth. 1989; 36: 526-529
- A comparative study of five different techniques to reduce left ventricular dysfunction during endotracheal intubation.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1991; 35: 609-615
- Approaches to determination of left ventricular volume and ejection fraction by real-time two-dimensional echocardiography.Clin Cardiol. 1979; 2: 257-263
- Isoflurane and intravenous anesthesia used for induction before coronary artery bypass grafting.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1989; 33: 99-104
- Sensitivity of left ventricular end-systolic pressure-volume relation to type of loading intervention in dogs.Circ Res. 1988; 62: 1247-1258
- Influence of contractile state on curvilinearity of in situ end-systolic pressure-volume relations.Circulation. 1989; 79: 167-178
- Anesthetic requirements and cardiovascular effects of fentanyl-oxygen and fentanyl-diazepamoxygen anesthesia in man.Anesth Analg. 1978; 57: 411-416
- Effect of midazolam on cardiac pump performance and contractility.Anesthesiology. 1991; 75: A154
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.