THE FIRST CASE OF real-time 3-dimensional (3D) transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) imaging of an intracardiac mass is reported. Histologic examination later confirmed the diagnosis of endomyocardial fibrosis (EMF). The utilization of real-time 3D imaging to improve the understanding of the precise anatomic location and the dynamic relationship between this rare intracardiac mass and the surrounding anatomic structures during the cardiac cycle is described. Additionally, a brief review of EMF is provided.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Restrictive, obliterative, and infiltrative cardiomyopathies.in: Fuster V. Alexander R.W. O’Rourke R.A. Hurst’s The Heart. (ed 11). McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division, New York2004: 1937-1948
- Loeffler’s endocarditis and Davie’s endomyocardial fibrosis.Am Heart J. 1973; 85: 308-322
- Endomyocardial fibrosis in Behçet’s disease.Ann Rheum Dis. 1997; 56: 205-208
- Is malaria involved in the pathogenesis of tropical endomyocardial fibrosis?.Acta Leiden. 1988; 57: 47-52
- Obscure disease affecting mural endocardium.Am Heart J. 1960; 59: 600-631
- Pitfalls in diagnosis and clinical, echocardiographic and hemodynamic findings in endomyocardial fibrosis: A 25-year experience.Chest. 2005; 128: 3985-3992
- Endomyocardial fibrosis mimicking right ventricular tumor.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001; 177: 205-206
- A case of left ventricular endomyocardial fibrosis.Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2002; 8: 173-176
- NIH conference.Ann Intern Med. 1982; 97: 78-92
- Clinical course of endomyocardial fibrosis.Br Heart J. 1989; 62: 450-454
- Echocardiographic diagnosis of heart disease in Uganda.Trop Doct. 1996; 26: 125-128
- Clinicopathological evaluation of restrictive cardiomyopathy (endomyocardial fibrosis and idiopathic restrictive cardiomyopathy) in India.Eur J Heart Fail. 2004; 6: 723-729
- Endomyocardial disease and eosinophilia.Am J Med. 1969; 4: 28-42
- Necropsy study of endomyocardial fibrosis and rheumatic heart disease in Uganda 1950-1965.Br Heart J. 1968; 30: 391-401
- The surgical treatment of endomyocardial fibrosis: results in 55 patients.Circulation. 1985; 72: II274-II279
- Surgery for endomyocardial fibrosis revisited.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1999; 15: 309-312
- Real-time 3-dimensional echocardiography evaluation of intracardiac masses.Echocardiography. 2006; 23: 218-224
- Live three-dimensional transthoracic echocardiographic assessment of left atrial tumors.Echocardiography. 2005; 22: 137-143
© 2008 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.