METHYLENE BLUE recently has been advocated to reverse the effects of vasodilatory shock. However, there is not widespread acceptance of its use in unique patient populations. The authors report a case of methylene blue administration in a nonseptic vasoplegic patient belonging to 2 groups in which methylene blue for vasodilatory shock has not been widely studied: pediatric patients and lung transplant patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Methylene blue reduces mortality and morbidity in vasoplegic patients after cardiac surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2004; 77: 496-499
- Extracorporeal circulation: The response of humoral and cellular elements of blood to extracorporeal circulation.in: Cohn L.H. Cardiac Surgery in the Adult. (ed 3). McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2008: 370-389
- Vasoplegic syndrome—The role of methylene blue.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2005; 28: 705-710
- Inhibition of nitric oxide synthesis by methylene blue.Biochem Pharmacol. 1993; 45: 367-374
- Use of methylene blue in sepsis: A systematic review.J Intensive Care Med. 2006; 21: 359-363
- The influence of methylene blue infusion on cytokine levels during severe sepsis.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2002; 30: 755-762
- Does methylene blue administration to septic shock patients affect vascular permeability and blood volume?.Crit Care Med. 2002; 30: 2271-2277
- Use of methylene blue in patients with refractory septic shock: Impact on hemodynamics and gas exchange.J Crit Care. 1998; 13: 164-168
- Methylene blue administration in septic shock: A clinical trial.Crit Care Med. 1995; 23: 259-264
- Short-term effects of methylene blue on hemodynamics and gas exchange in humans with septic shock.Intensive Care Med. 1995; 21: 1027-1031
- Infusion of methylene blue in human septic shock: A pilot, randomized, controlled study.Crit Care Med. 2001; 29: 1860-1867
- Pulmonary vasodilation by inhaled nitric oxide after endothelial injury.J Appl Physiol. 1992; 73: 2179-2183
- Prolonged inhibition of nitric oxide synthesis in severe septic shock: A clinical study.Crit Care Med. 1998; 26: 660-667
- Multiple-center, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor 546C88: Effect on survival in patients with septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2004; 32: 21-30
- Methylene blue as an inhibitor of superoxide generation by xanthine oxidase.Biochem Pharmacol. 1991; 42: 499-506
Published online: February 17, 2009
© 2009 Published by Elsevier Inc.