A 60-YEAR-OLD MAN with a past medical history significant for obesity, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, and a longstanding murmur presented with shortness of breath and fatigue with exertion over a period of 1 week. A transthoracic echocardiogram showed moderate aortic stenosis. A cardiac catheterization was performed and showed severe aortic stenosis (peak gradient of 70 mmHg and valve area of 0.64 cm2), single-vessel coronary artery disease (60%-70% occlusion of mid-left anterior descending artery), and dilation of the ascending aorta (5 cm). Given these findings in a symptomatic patient, the decision was made to proceed to the operating room for a biologic Bentall procedure and single-vessel coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Observations on diseases of the orifice and valves of the aorta.Guys Hosp Rep. 1842; 7: 387-452
- Accessory mitral valve tissue: A case report and an updated review of literature.J Card Surg. 2008; 23: 769-772
- Accessory mitral valve tissue causing left ventricular outflow tract obstruction: Case reports and literature review.J Heart Valve Dis. 2001; 10: 774-778
- Accessory mitral valve without left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in an adult.Tex Heart Inst J. 2008; 35: 324-326
- Accessory mitral valve tissue causing severe left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in an adult.Ann Thorac Surg. 2004; 77: 713-715
- Accessory mitral valve causing left ventricular outflow tract in an adult.Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008; 56: 77-80
- Accessory mitral valve leaflet causing left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in an adult.Heart. 2009; 95: 1219
Published online: March 26, 2010
© 2010 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.