A 58-YEAR-OLD man developed transient monocular visual loss in the right lower quadrant of the left eye that fully resolved in less than 24 hours. He was afebrile and had no other symptoms. His known medical history included well-controlled arterial hypertension and dyslipidemia. He denied a history of cerebrovascular disease, atrial fibrillation, intravenous drug use, and thromboembolic disease. Medical evaluation included a carotid Doppler ultrasound that showed no abnormality, an unremarkable brain magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) examination, an unremarkable ophthalmologic examination, and a normal white blood cell count. A transesophageal echocardiographic (TEE) examination was performed and showed moderate mitral regurgitation in the setting of bileaflet prolapse. Additionally, an 8 × 7 mm mass was found to be attached to the atrial side of the anterior leaflet of the mitral valve (Fig 1, Fig 2 and Videos 1 and 2 [supplementary videos are available online]). The patient was scheduled for mitral valve reconstructive surgery and mass resection 3 weeks after his medical evaluation had been completed. What is the diagnosis?
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cardiac Myxomas.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1610-1617
- Pathology of surgically excised primary cardiac tumors.Mayo Clin Proc. 1992; 67: 957-965
- Surgical pathology of primary cardiac and pericardial tumors.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1997; 12: 730-737
- Primary cardiac valve tumors.Ann Thorac Surg. 1991; 52: 1127-1131
- Primary cardiac valve tumors.Heart. 2003; 89: 1259-1260
- Clinical and echocardiographic characteristics of papillary fibroelastomas: A retrospective and prospective study in 162 patients.Circulation. 2001; 103: 2687-2693
- Cardiac myxomas: Clinical and echocardiographic profile.Int J Cardiol. 1998; 63: 251-259
- Myxoma attached to both atrial and ventricular sides of the mitral valve: Report of a case and review of 31 cases of mitral myxoma.Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2001; 17: 411-416
- Cardiac myxomas: A long term study.J Neurol. 1995; 242: 689-694
- Surgical treatment of cardiac myxomas: Long-term results.Ann Thorac Surg. 1990; 50: 557-561
Published online: August 12, 2010
Paul S. Pagel, MD, PhD
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.