A 45-YEAR-OLD WOMAN with past medical history significant for hypertension, asthma, and anemia was admitted to the authors' institution with complaint of dyspnea on exertion. A preoperative transthoracic echocardiogram showed moderate-to-severe aortic regurgitation, mild dilatation of the sinus of valsalva and ascending aorta and mild decrease in left ventricular function with an ejection fraction equal to 48%. The patient was scheduled for an aortic valve replacement and possible aortic root replacement. After induction of anesthesia, a transesophageal echocardiogram was performed and demonstrated severe aortic regurgitation secondary to annular dilatation, mild dilatation of the aortic root/ascending aorta, and mild mitral regurgitation. A small mass (Fig 1) was seen in the left atrium. What is the diagnosis?
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A rare case: Blood cyst of the mitral valve.Anadolu Kardiyol Derg. 2005; 5: 346
- Bileaflet blood cysts on the mitral valve in an adult.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2009; 22: 1085.e5-1085.e8
- Blood cyst of the mitral valve.J Cardiovasc Med. 2012; 13: 46
- A heart inside the heart: Blood cyst of mitral valve.Echocardiography. 2008; 25: 928-930
- Bood filled cyst of the papillary muscle of the mitral valve producing severe left ventricular outflow tract obstruction.Br Heart J. 1990; 63: 132-133
- A rare case of left ventricular outflow obstruction.Eur J Echocardiogr. 2004; 5: 72-75
- Heart within a heart. Contrast 3-dimensional echocardiography imaging of a tricuspid valve blood cyst.Circulation. 2004; 110: e324-e325
- Mitral regurgitation caused by mitral paraannular cyst.J Heart Valve Dis. 1997; 6: 67-68
- Blood cyst of the mitral valve: A rare cause of stroke.Echocardiography. 2009; 26: 736-738
- Giant blood cyst of the pulmonary valve.N Engl J Med. 1963; 269: 465-467
- Blood cyst of the mitral valve: Detection by transthoracic and transeophogeal echocardiography.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 1992; 5: 547-550
Published online: March 18, 2013
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.