The aim of this survey was to describe existing perioperative care standards and best practices in the Netherlands and Belgium.
An online survey was followed up by an in-depth personal interview. The main outcomes were the existing standards of perioperative care for patients undergoing cardiac surgery.
The online survey and subsequent interviews were targeted to one representative in the intensive care unit (ICU), cardiac surgery, and anesthesiology department from each cardiac surgical center in the Netherlands and Belgium.
A representative intensive care physician, cardiac surgeon, and cardiac anesthesiologist.
Measurements and Main Results
The response rate was 60% (71% for the Netherlands, and 44% in Belgium). Agreement across centers was found for discontinuation of proton-pump inhibitors (80%) and avoiding intra- and postoperative (92%) nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs. Additionally, 98% of respondents stated that physiotherapy should be started immediately in the ICU. Major divergence was found for elements such as the discontinuation of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (55%) or the postoperative use of chest support vests (44%).
The authors demonstrated a wide range of different local protocols. Strategies differed among disciplines, hospitals, and countries. This emphasized the need for the implementation of a more universal protocol to further reduce variance and improve recovery practices.
This nationwide survey was the first of its kind simultaneously studying best practices for cardiac surgery through the entire care pathway at the advent of Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Cardiac implementation. A multinational randomized controlled trial to test the implementation of an evidence-based ERAS Cardiac protocol is the next step to pave the way for further outcome improvements in this high-risk population.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global health and cardiovascular disease.Heart. 2014; 100: 1743-1749
- Ziekte en sterfte aan hart- en vaatziekten.in: Boer AR van Dis I Hart- en vaatziekten in Nederland 2019, cijfers over incidentie, prevalentie, ziekte en sterfte. Hartstichting, Den Haag2019: 11-50
- Openhartoperaties en percutane coronaire interventies bij patiënten met hartziekten in Nederland.in: Boer AR van Dis I Hart- en vaatziekten in Nederland 2018, cijfers over risicofactoren, hartinterventies, ziekte en sterfte. Hartstichting, Den Haag2018: 81-90
- Operative outcomes of multiple-arterial versus single-arterial coronary bypass grafting.Ann Thorac Surg. 2018; 105: 1109-1119
- Enhanced recovery after surgery: A review.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 292-298
- Enhanced recovery pathways for cardiac surgery.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2019; 23: 28
- Aggregation of marginal gains in cardiac surgery: Feasibility of a perioperative care bundle for enhanced recovery in cardiac surgical patients.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2016; 30: 665-670
- Enhanced recovery after cardiac surgery: An update on clinical implications.Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2018; 55: 148-162
- Guidelines for perioperative care in cardiac surgery: Enhanced Recovery after Surgery Society recommendations.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154: 755-766
- Effect of a preoperative intervention on preoperative and postoperative outcomes in low-risk patients awaiting elective coronary artery bypass graft surgery: A randomized, controlled trial.Ann Intern Med. 2000; 133: 253-262
- Postsurgical infections are reduced with specialized nutrition support.World J Surg. 2006; 30: 1592-1604
- Short-term preoperative smoking cessation and postoperative complications: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Can J Anesth. 2012; 59: 268-279
- Preoperative alcohol cessation prior to elective surgery.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 7CD008343
- Effect of preoperative angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor on the outcome of coronary artery bypass graft surgery.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2015; 47: 788-795
- Goal-directed therapy after cardiac surgery and the incidence of acute kidney injury.J Crit Care. 2014; 29: 997-1000
- Effect of perioperative goal-directed hemodynamic resuscitation therapy on outcomes following cardiac surgery: A randomized clinical trial and systematic review.Crit. Care Med. 2016; 44: 724-733
- Postoperativemultimodal analgesia pain management with nonopioid analgesics and techniques a review.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 691-697
- Enhanced recovery after surgery: A narrative review of its application in cardiac surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; 109: 1937-1944
Published online: September 04, 2021
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.