Measurements and Main Results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
- Public attitudes about eye and vision health.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016; 134: 1111-1118
- Longitudinal associations between vision impairment and the incidence of neuropsychiatric, musculoskeletal, and cardiometabolic chronic diseases.Am J Ophthalmol. 2021; 235: 163-171
- Risk factors for ischemic optic neuropathy after cardiopulmonary bypass: A matched case/control study.Anesth Analg. 2001; 93: 1410-1416
- Ischemic optic neuropathy in cardiac surgery: Incidence and risk factors in the United States from the National Inpatient Sample 1998 to 2013.Anesthesiology. 2017; 126: 810-821
- Anterior ischemic optic neuropathy after open heart operations.Ann Thorac Surg. 1996; 61: 660-666
- The prevalence of perioperative visual loss in the United States: A 10-year study from 1996 to 2005 of spinal, orthopedic, cardiac, and general surgery.Anesth Analg. 2009; 109: 1534-1545
- Perioperative visual Loss in spine fusion surgery: Ischemic optic neuropathy in the United States from 1998 to 2012 in the Nationwide Inpatient Sample.Anesthesiology. 2016; 125: 457-464
- Incidence of ischemic optic neuropathy after cardiopulmonary bypass: 20-year experience.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2021; 35: 35-38
- Predictive model of ischemic optic neuropathy in spinal fusion surgery using a longitudinal medical claims database.Spine J. 2021; 21: 377-386
- Predicting risk of perioperative ischemic optic neuropathy in spine fusion surgery: A cohort study using the National Inpatient Sample.Anesth Analg. 2020; 130: 967-974
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Overview of the National (Nationwide) Inpatient Sample (NIS). vol 2016. Rockville, MD, 2015. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/nisdbdocumentation.jsp Available at: Accessed September 8, 2022.
- Anterior ischemic optic neuropathy is not associated with carotid artery atherosclerosis.Stroke. 1993; 24: 539-542
- Adherence to methodological standards in research using the National Inpatient Sample.JAMA. 2017; 318: 2011-2018
Houchens DR, Elixhauser A. Final report on calculating national inpatient sample (NIS) variances for data years 2012 and later: HCUP Methods Series Report. vol 2018. U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2015. http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/methods/methods.jsp Available at:. Accessed September 8, 2022.
- Methods for categorizing a prognostic variable in a multivariable setting.Stat Med. 2003; 22: 559-571
- SCreening for Occult REnal Disease (SCORED): A simple prediction model for chronic kidney disease.Arch Int Med. 2007; 167: 374-381
- The meaning and use of the area under a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve.Radiology. 1982; 143: 29-36
- Development of a prediction model for postoperative pneumonia: A multicentre prospective observational study.Eur J Anaesthesiology. 2019; 36: 93-104
- Variability in case durations for common surgical procedures.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 2017-2024
- The new era of informed consent: Getting to a reasonable-patient standard through shared decision making.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2063-2064
- Patients' perspective on full disclosure and informed consent regarding postoperative visual loss associated with spinal surgery in the prone position.Mayo Clin Proc. 2011; 86: 865-868
- Eye care among US adults at high risk for vision loss in the United States in 2002 and 2017.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020; 138: 479-489
- Incidence of nonarteritic and arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Population-based study in the state of Missouri and Los Angeles County.California. J Neuro-ophthalmol. 1994; 14: 38-44
- Interventions to improve patient comprehension in informed consent for medical and surgical procedures: An updated systematic review.Med Decis Making. 2020; 40: 119-143
- Ocular neurodegenerative diseases: Interconnection between retina and cortical areas.Cells. 2021; 10: 2394
- Prevalence of open-angle glaucoma among adults in the United States.Arch Ophthalmol. 2004; 122: 532-538
- Eye disease and mortality, cognition, disease, and modifiable risk factors: An umbrella review of meta-analyses of observational studies.Eye. 2022; 36: 369-378
- Global and regional prevalence of age-related cataract: A comprehensive systematic review and meta-analysis.Eye. 2020; 34: 1357-1370
Houchens R, Ross D, Elixhauser A, et al. Nationwide inpatient sample redesign final report. HCUP NIS Related Reports 2014. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/nisrelatedreports.jsp Available at:. Accessed September 8, 2022.
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health [Grants EY027447 (Dr. Roth), EY024345 (Dr. Moss), P30 EY026877 to the Department of Ophthalmology at Stanford University, EY001792 to the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Illinois, TR002003 to the Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences at the University of Illinois, and TR002389 to the Institute for Translational Medicine at University of Chicago], and unrestricted grants from Research to Prevent Blindness, Inc. (New York, NY) to the Stanford University Department of Ophthalmology and to the University of Illinois Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences.
S. H. Shah provided conception and design, data analysis, drafting and final approval of manuscript. L. Xiao provided data analysis and final approval of the manuscript. Y.-F. Chen provided conception and design, data analysis, and final approval of manuscript. H. E. Moss provided conception and design, drafting and final approval of manuscript. D. S. Rubin provided conception and design, data analysis, drafting and final approval of manuscript. S. Roth provided conception and design, and final approval of manuscript.