Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
- Ultrasound transducer disinfection in emergency medicine practice.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2016; 5: 12
- Emergency department ultrasound probe infection control: Challenges and solutions.Open Access Emerg Med. 2015; 7: 1-9
- Identification and analysis of bacterial contamination of ultrasound transducers and multiuse ultrasound transmission gel bottle tips before and after the aseptic cleansing technique.J Ultrasound Med. 2020; 39: 1957-1963
- High risk HPV contamination of endocavity vaginal ultrasound probes: An underestimated route of nosocomial infection?.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e48137
- Risk of infection following semi-invasive ultrasound procedures in Scotland, 2010 to 2016: A retrospective cohort study using linked national datasets.Ultrasound. 2018; 26: 168-177
- Guidelines for transoesophageal echocardiographic probe cleaning and disinfection from the British Society of Echocardiography.Eur J Echocardiogr. 2011; 12: i17-i23
- A recurrent and transesophageal echocardiography-associated outbreak of extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing complex in cardiac surgery patients.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2019; 8: 152
- Nosocomial outbreak of extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing Enterobacter cloacae among cardiothoracic surgical patients: Causes and consequences.J Hosp Infect. 2019; 102: 54-60
- A hospital-wide outbreak of Serratia marcescens, and Ishikawa's “Fishbone” analysis to support outbreak control.Qual Manag Health Care. 2016; 25: 1-7
- Infections and outcomes after cardiac surgery-The impact of outbreaks traced to transesophageal echocardiography probes.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2019; 63: 871-878
- Nosocomial outbreak of multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa caused by damaged transesophageal echocardiogram probe used in cardiovascular surgical operations.J Infect Chemother. 2013; 19: 677-681
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa respiratory tract infections associated with contaminated ultrasound gel used for transesophageal echocardiography - Michigan, December 2011-January 2012.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 262-264
- An outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa respiratory tract infections associated with intrinsically contaminated ultrasound transmission gel.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 850-853
- Outbreak of Escherichia coli infections associated with a contaminated transesophageal echocardiography probe.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 1121-1123
- Disinfection, sterilization, and antisepsis: An overview.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47S: A3-A9
- World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology Position Statement: How to perform a safe ultrasound examination and clean equipment in the context of COVID-19.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2020; 46: 1821-1826
- Position statement and best practice recommendations on the imaging use of ultrasound from the European Society of Radiology ultrasound subcommittee.Insights Imaging. 2020; 11: 115
- Disinfection of ultrasound transducers used for percutaneous procedures: Intersocietal position statement.J Ultrasound Med. 2021; 40: 895-897
AIUM. Guidelines for cleaning and preparing external- and internal-use ultrasound transducers and equipment between patients as well as safe handling and use of ultrasound coupling gel. 2020. Available at: https://www.aium.org/officialStatements/57. Accessed August 3, 2022.
- Best practices for disinfection of noncritical environmental surfaces and equipment in health care facilities: A bundle approach.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47S: A96-105
- Efficacy of disinfectant-impregnated wipes used for surface disinfection in hospitals: A review.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2019; 8: 139
- Disinfection: Is it time to reconsider Spaulding?.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 78: 163-170
- Disinfection and sterilization: An overview.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: S2-S5
- Review of disinfection and sterilization - back to the basics.Infect Chemother. 2018; 50: 101-109
- Superiority of chlorhexidine 2%/alcohol 70% wipes in decontaminating ultrasound equipment.Ultrasound. 2014; 22: 135-140
- Degradation of ultrasound probes caused by disinfection with alcohol.J Med Ultrason. 2011; 38: 97-100
- Is a chlorine dioxide wiping procedure suitable for the high-level disinfection of nasendoscopes?.J Infect Prev. 2017; 18: 78-83
- Mycobactericidal activity of chlorine dioxide wipes in a modified prEN 14563 test.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 69: 384-388
- Assessment of occupational exposure to airborne chlorine dioxide of healthcare workers using impregnated wipes during high-level disinfection of non-lumened flexible nasoendoscopes.J Occup Environ Hyg. 2018; 15: 818-823
- Considering risks to healthcare workers from glutaraldehyde alternatives in high-level disinfection.J Hosp Infect. 2005; 59: 4-11
- Risk of infection associated with transesophageal echocardiography and prevention measures: Literature review.Arquivos Brasileiros De Cardiologia - Imagem Cardiovascular. 2019; 32
- Oropharyngeal and laryngeal burn resulting from exposure to endoscope disinfectant: A case report.Ear Nose Throat J. 2008; 87: 580-581
- Chemical burn injury secondary to intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography.Anesth Analg. 2003; 97: 1260-1261
- Rinsability of orthophthalaldehyde from endoscopes.Diagn Ther Endosc. 2012; 2012853781
- Perioral stains after ortho-phthalaldehyde disinfection of echo probes.Anesthesiology. 2003; 99: 1032
- Infection prevention and control in ultrasound - best practice recommendations from the European Society of Radiology Ultrasound Working Group.Insights Imaging. 2017; 8: 523-535
- Far-UVC light (222 nm) efficiently and safely inactivates airborne human coronaviruses.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 10285
- Ultraviolet C lamps for disinfection of surfaces potentially contaminated with SARS-CoV-2 in critical hospital settings: Examples of their use and some practical advice.BMC Infect Dis. 2021; 21: 594
- Evaluation of a new disinfection procedure for ultrasound probes using ultraviolet light.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 65: 163-168
- Evaluation of ultraviolet C for disinfection of endocavitary ultrasound transducers persistently contaminated despite probe covers.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 165-170
- Disinfection of transvaginal ultrasound probes by ultraviolet C - a clinical evaluation of automated and manual reprocessing methods.Ultraschall Med. 2020; 41: 681-687
- Study on a new ultraviolet sterilizer to the surface disinfection of the ultrasound probe.Biomed Environ Sci. 2018; 31: 163-167
- Evaluation of a new disinfection method for ultrasound probes used for regional anesthesia: Ultraviolet C light.J Ultrasound Med. 2011; 30: 785-788
- Prion disease and recommended procedures for flexible endoscope reprocessing - a review of policies worldwide and proposal for a simplified approach.J Hosp Infect. 2020; 104: 92-110
- Human prion diseases: Surgical lessons learned from iatrogenic prion transmission.Neurosurg Focus. 2016; 41: E10
- Decontamination of surgical instruments from prion proteins: In vitro studies on the detachment, destabilization and degradation of PrPSc bound to steel surfaces.J Gen Virol. 2004; 85: 3805-3816
- Decontamination of surgical instruments from prions. II. In vivo findings with a model system for testing the removal of scrapie infectivity from steel surfaces.J Gen Virol. 2008; 89: 348-358
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Infection Control, Iatrogenic Transmission of CJD. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cjd/infection-control.html. Accessed August 3, 2022.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration Hospitals eTool. Available at: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/hospital/hazards/univprec/univ.html. Accessed August 3, 2022.
World Health Organization, Standard precautions in health care. Available at: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/documents/health-topics/standard-precautions-in-health-care.pdf?sfvrsn=7c453df0_2. Accessed August 3, 2022.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Infection Control, Transmission-Based Precautions. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/basics/transmission-based-precautions.html. Accessed August 3, 2022.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Jane D Siegel, Emily Rhinehart, Marguerite Jackson, Linda Chiarello, 2007 Guideline for Isolation Precautions : Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings, Last Update May 2022. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/pdf/guidelines/isolation-guidelines-H.pdf. Accessed August 3, 2022.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Infection Control, Standard Precautions for All Patient Care. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/basics/standard-precautions.html. Accessed August 3, 2022.
- Practical recommendations for critical care and anesthesiology teams caring for novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) patients.Can J Anaesth. 2020; 67: 568-576
- Point of care ultrasound: A clinical decision support tool for COVID-19 [e-pub ahead of print].Singapore Med J. 2021; (Accessed August 3, 2022)https://doi.org/10.11622/smedj.2021098
- Specific considerations for sonographers when performing echocardiography during the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak: Supplement to the American Society of Echocardiography Statement.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2020; 33: 654-657
- COVID-19: Infection prevention and control guidance for all ultrasound practitioners.Australas J Ultrasound Med. 2020; 23: 90-95
- Safe performance of echocardiography during the COVID-19 pandemic: A practical guide.Rev Cardiovasc Med. 2020; 21: 217-223
- Proposal for international standardization of the use of lung ultrasound for COVID-19 patients; a simple, quantitative, reproducible method: LUS acquisition protocol and scoring for Covid-19.J Ultrasound Med. 2020; 39: 1413-1419
- Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents.J Hosp Infect. 2020; 104: 246-251
- Practical considerations for performing regional anesthesia: Lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic.Can J Anaesth. 2020; 67: 885-892
- Preparing for a COVID-19 pandemic: A review of operating room outbreak response measures in a large tertiary hospital in Singapore.Can J Anaesth. 2020; 67: 732-745
- ESR statement on portable ultrasound devices.Insights Imaging. 2019; 10: 89
- Hand-held ultrasound devices compared with high-end ultrasound systems: A systematic review.Diagnostics. 2019; 9: 61
- Ultrasound-on-chip platform for medical imaging, analysis, and collective intelligence.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2021; 118e2019339118
- Point-of-care ultrasound.Curr Cardiol Rep. 2020; 22: 149
- Wireless ultrasound-guided axillary vein cannulation for the implantation of cardiovascular implantable electric devices.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2016; 27: 482-487