THE PULMONARY ARTERY CATHETER (PAC) was first described in 1970 for right-heart catheterization. Its use has since expanded beyond the cardiac catheterization laboratory to include patients in intensive care units (ICU) and noncardiac operating rooms.
1Its use as a monitor is intuitively attractive because it provides detailed physiologic data to which therapies can be titrated. It offers information on both measured (central venous pressure, pulmonary artery and pulmonary capillary wedge pressures, cardiac output, mixed venous oxygen saturation) and calculated (indices of systemic and pulmonary vascular resistance) hemodynamic parameters.
- Swan HJC
- Ganz W
- Forrester J
- et al.
Catheterization of the heart in man with use of a flow-directed balloon-tipped catheter.
N Engl J Med. 1970; 283: 447-451
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Catheterization of the heart in man with use of a flow-directed balloon-tipped catheter.N Engl J Med. 1970; 283: 447-451
- Ganz, and their catheter: Its evolution over the past half century.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 636-642
- Current use of the pulmonary artery catheter in cardiac surgery: A survey study.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015; 29: 69-75
- Pulmonary artery catheter use during cardiac surgery in the United States, 2010 to 2014.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2016; 30: 579-584
- Lack of effectiveness of the pulmonary artery catheter in cardiac surgery.Anesth Analg. 2011; 113: 994-1002
- Questionable benefit of the pulmonary artery catheter after cardiac surgery in high-risk patients.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015; 29: 76-81
- Use of pulmonary artery catheter in coronary artery bypass graft. Cost and long-term outcomes.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0117610
- Pulmonary artery catheter use in adult patients undergoing cardiac surgery: a retrospective, cohort study.Periop Med. 2018; 7: 24
- Interobserver variability in the interpretation of pulmonary artery catheter pressure tracings.Chest. 1991; 100: 1647-1654
- The impact of pulmonary artery catheter use in cardiac surgery.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021; (S0022-5223(21)00185-9)
- New developments in the understanding of right ventricular function in acute care.Curr Opin Crit Care. 2022; 28: 331-339
- Multiplane transesophageal echocardiographic doppler imaging accurately determines cardiac output measurements in critically ill patients.Chest. 1995; 107: 769-773
Published online: September 29, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.