LEFT VENTRICULAR (LV) venting cannulae are used commonly during open-chamber cardiac surgical procedures to help evacuate retained air and debris after closure of the heart chambers. In this report, the authors describe a case of iatrogenic pulmonary vein stenosis (PVS) secondary to vent insertion site suture closure. Timely echocardiographic diagnosis allowed for immediate revision of the vent insertion site closure suture and return of normal pulmonary venous flow into the left atrium. Pulmonary vein stenosis is a known complication of orthotopic lung transplantation and transcatheter ablation for atrial fibrillation,
- Loyalka P
- Cevik C
- Nathan S
- et al.
Percutaneous stenting to treat pulmonary vein stenosis after single-lung transplantation.
Tex Heart Inst J. 2012; 39: 560-564
- Jing L
- Chen W
- Zhai Z
- et al.
Pulmonary vein stenosis after lung transplantation: A case report and literature review.
Ann Transl Med. 2021; 9: 181
- Patel NS
- Pettersson G
- Murat Tuzcu E
- et al.
Successful surgical repair of iatrogenic pulmonary vein stenosis.
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2012; 23: 656-658
4and has been reported as a postoperative finding in patients undergoing open-chamber cardiac surgery with LV venting via the right superior pulmonary vein. To the authors’ knowledge, this is the first reported case of intraoperative transesophageal echocardiographic detection of iatrogenic PVS secondary to LV venting site closure in the literature.
- Shroff N
- Choi W
- Villanueva-Meyer J
- et al.
Pulmonary vein occlusion: A delayed complication following radiofrequency ablation for atrial fibrillation.
Radiol Case Rep. 2021; 16: 3666-3671
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Percutaneous stenting to treat pulmonary vein stenosis after single-lung transplantation.Tex Heart Inst J. 2012; 39: 560-564
- Pulmonary vein stenosis after lung transplantation: A case report and literature review.Ann Transl Med. 2021; 9: 181
- Successful surgical repair of iatrogenic pulmonary vein stenosis.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2012; 23: 656-658
- Pulmonary vein occlusion: A delayed complication following radiofrequency ablation for atrial fibrillation.Radiol Case Rep. 2021; 16: 3666-3671
- Pulmonary vein stenosis complicating radiofrequency catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation: A literature review.Respir Med. 2016; 117: 215-222
- Pulmonary vein stenosis: Etiology, diagnosis and management.World J Cardiol. 2016; 8: 81-88
- Pulmonary vein stenosis after atrial fibrillation ablation: An iatrogenic problem larger than the primary problem.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2018; 11e006461
- Severe pulmonary vein stenosis resulting from ablation for atrial fibrillation: Presentation, management, and clinical outcomes.Circulation. 2016; 134: 1812-1821
- Radiologic review of acquired pulmonary vein stenosis in adults.Cardiovasc Diagn Ther. 2018; 8: 387-398
- Early complications of pulmonary vein catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation: A multicenter prospective registry on procedural safety.Heart Rhythm. 2007; 4: 1265-1271
- Transesophageal echocardiography: A follow-up tool after catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation and interventional therapy of pulmonary vein stenosis and occlusion.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2007; 18: 195-205
- Graft failure caused by pulmonary venous obstruction diagnosed by intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography during lung transplantation.Anesth Analg. 2000; 91: 558-560
- Comparison of stent versus balloon angioplasty for pulmonary vein stenosis complicating pulmonary vein isolation.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2008; 19: 673-678
- Complex cases of acquired pulmonary vein stenosis after radiofrequency ablation: Is surgical repair an option?.Europace. 2019; 21: 73-79
- Acquired pulmonary vein stenosis: One problem, two mechanisms.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2010; 23 (e901-3): 904
- Congenital and acquired pulmonary vein stenosis.Circulation. 2007; 115: 103-108
- Mechanism of pulmonary vein stenosis in infants with normally connected veins.Am J Cardiol. 2000; 86 (a510): 577-579
- Pulmonary vein stenosis in a newborn: A Commonly overlooked diagnosis.Case Rep Cardiol. 2015; 2015870257
- Pulmonary vein stenosis: Treatment and challenges.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021; 161: 2169-2176
- An unusual cause of pulmonary vein stenosis: A case report and review of the literature.Echocardiography. 2006; 23: 685-688
- Outcomes and management of patients with severe pulmonary vein stenosis from prior atrial fibrillation ablation.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2018; 11e006001
- An unusual case of pulmonary vein stenosis diagnosed with intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography.A&A Practice. 2021; 15: e01515
- Relentless pulmonary vein stenosis after repair of total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage.Ann Thorac Surg. 1998; 66: 1514-1520
- Pulmonary cuff dysfunction after lung transplant surgery: A systematic review of the evidence and analysis of its clinical implications.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2019; 38: 530-544
- Spectral Doppler interrogation of the pulmonary veins for the diagnosis of cardiac disorders: A comprehensive review.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2021; 34: 223-236
- Repair of iatrogenic pulmonary vein occlusion with a vascularized atrial flap.Clin Case Rep. 2020; 8: 13-17
- An unusual cause of shortness of breath: Pulmonary vein stenosis after surgical mitral valve replacement.JACC Case Rep. 2022; 4: 533-537
- The impact of first procedure success rate on the economics of atrial fibrillation ablation.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2017; 3: 129-138
- Pulmonary vein stenosis complicating ablation for atrial fibrillation: Clinical spectrum and interventional considerations.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2009; 2: 267-276
- Pulmonary vein stenosis after catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation: Emergence of a new clinical syndrome.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 138: 634-638
- Bilateral pulmonary vein stenting for treatment of massive hemoptysis caused by pulmonary vein stenosis following catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation.BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2019; 19: 162
- Pulmonary vein total occlusion following catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation: Clinical implications after long-term follow-up.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 48: 2493-2499
- Clinical presentation, investigation, and management of pulmonary vein stenosis complicating ablation for atrial fibrillation.Circulation. 2005; 111: 546-554
- Acquired pulmonary vein stenosis after radiofrequency ablation for atrial fibrillation: Single-center experience in catheter interventional treatment.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018; 11: 1626-1632
- Role of transoesophageal echocardiography in evaluating the effect of catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation on anatomy and function of the pulmonary veins.Europace. 2008; 10: 1079-1084
- Assessment and management of pulmonary vein occlusion after atrial fibrillation ablation.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018; 11: 1633-1639
- Pulmonary vein stenosis after radiofrequency ablation of atrial fibrillation: Functional characterization, evolution, and influence of the ablation strategy.Circulation. 2003; 108: 3102-3107
- Guidelines for performing a comprehensive transesophageal echocardiographic examination: Recommendations from the American Society of Echocardiography and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists.Anesth Analg. 2014; 118: 21-68
- Guidelines for performing a comprehensive transesophageal echocardiographic: Examination in children and all patients with congenital heart disease: Recommendations from the American Society of Echocardiography.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2019; 32: 173-215
- Pulmonary venous flow patterns by transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography: Relation to parameters of left ventricular systolic and diastolic function.Am Heart J. 1991; 122: 1683-1693
- Estimation of mean left atrial pressure from transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography of pulmonary venous flow.Circulation. 1990; 82: 1127-1139
- Intraoperative transesophageal echocardiographic assessment of vascular anastomoses in lung transplantation. A report on 18 cases.Chest. 1997; 111: 1229-1235
- Doppler echocardiographic features of pulmonary vein stenosis in ex-preterm children.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2022; 35: 435-442
- Transesophageal echocardiography for the diagnosis of pulmonary vein stenosis after catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation: A systematic review.Echocardiography. 2010; 27: 1141-1146
- Transesophageal echocardiography in comparison with magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of pulmonary vein stenosis after radiofrequency ablation therapy.J Am Soc Echocardiog. 2005; 18: 654-659
- Detection of pulmonary vein stenosis by transesophageal echocardiography: Comparison with multidetector computed tomography.Am Heart J. 2007; 153: 800-806
Published online: October 12, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.