To determine whether general anesthesia (GA) in conjunction with regional anesthetic (RA) techniques are associated with favorable pulmonary outcomes versus GA alone among patients undergoing lobectomy by either video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) or open thoracotomy.
A retrospective cohort (2014-2017).
The American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program.
Adult patients undergoing lobectomy by either VATS or open thoracotomy.
Two groups of patients were identified based on the use of GA alone or GA in conjunction with RA (RA+GA) techniques (either neuraxial or peripheral nerve blocks). Both groups were propensity-matched based on pulmonary risk factors. The authors’ primary outcome was composite postoperative pulmonary complication (PPC), including pneumonia, reintubation, and failure to wean from the ventilator.
Measurements and Main Results
A total of 4,134 VATS (2,067 in GA and 2,067 in RA+GA) and 3,112 thoracotomies (1,556 in GA and 1,556 in RA+GA) were included in the final analysis. Regional anesthetic, as an adjuvant to GA, did not affect the incidence of PPC among patients undergoing lobectomy by VATS (odds ratio [OR] 1.07, 95% CI 0.81-1.43, p = 0.622), as well as in those undergoing lobectomy via thoracotomy (OR 1.19, 95% CI 0.93-1.51, p = 0.174). There was no statistically significant difference between groups in terms of readmission rates, length of stay, and mortality at 30 days.
The RA techniques were not associated with a lower incidence of pulmonary complications in lobectomy surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Most frequent operating room procedures performed in U.S. hospitals, 2003-2012.Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US), Rockville, MD2014
- Evidence-based medicine in the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer.Clin Chest Med. 2000; 21 (ix): 107-120
- Assessment of operative risk in patients undergoing lung resection. Importance of predicted pulmonary function.Chest. 1994; 105: 753-759
- Post-operative pulmonary complications after thoracotomy.Indian J Anesth. 2015; 59: 618-626
- Pulmonary complications following lung resection: A comprehensive analysis of incidence and possible risk factors.Chest. 2000; 118: 1263-1270
- Epidural analgesia reduces postoperative myocardial infarction: A meta-analysis.Anesth Analg. 2001; 93: 853-858
- Reduction of postoperative mortality and morbidity with epidural or spinal anaesthesia: Results from overview of randomised trials.BMJ. 2000; 321: 1493
- Regional versus systemic analgesia in video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy: A retrospective analysis.BMC Anesthesiol. 2019; 19: 183
- Guidelines for enhanced recovery after lung surgery: Recommendations of the Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS(R)) Society and the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons (ESTS).Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2019; 55: 91-115
American College of Surgeons. ACS NSQIP Participant Use Data File. Available at: https://www.facs.org/∼/media/files/qualityprograms/nsqip/nsqip_puf_userguide_2014.ashx. Updated October 2015. Accessed May 1, 2020.
- Development of an American College of Surgeons National Surgery Quality Improvement Program: Morbidity and mortality risk calculator for colorectal surgery.J Am Coll Surg. 2009; 208: 1009-1016
- Development and validation of procedure-specific risk score for predicting postoperative pulmonary complication: A NSQIP analysis.J Am Coll Surg. 2019; 229 (e3): 355-365
- Prevalence of co-morbidity in lung cancer patients and its relationship with treatment: A population-based study.Lung Cancer. 1998; 21: 105-113
- In patients with resectable non-small-cell lung cancer, is video-assisted thoracoscopic segmentectomy a suitable alternative to thoracotomy and segmentectomy in terms of morbidity and equivalence of resection?.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2014; 19: 107-110
- Anatomic segmentectomy for stage I non-small-cell lung cancer: Comparison of video-assisted thoracic surgery versus open approach.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 138 (e1): 1318-1325
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy: Experience with 1,100 cases.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 81 (discussion 425-6): 421-425
- Effect of postoperative epidural analgesia on morbidity and mortality after lung resection in Medicare patients.J Clin Anesth. 2006; 18: 515-520
- Risks and benefits of thoracic epidural anaesthesia.Br J Anaesth. 2011; 107: 859-868
- Protective effects of epidural analgesia on pulmonary complications after abdominal and thoracic surgery: A meta-analysis.Arch Surg. 2008; 143 (discussion 1000): 990-999
- Impact of epidural analgesia on mortality and morbidity after surgery: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Ann Surg. 2014; 259: 1056-1067
- Lung function after lobectomy: A randomized, double-blinded trial comparing thoracic epidural ropivacaine/sufentanil and intravenous morphine for patient-controlled analgesia.Anesth Analg. 2007; 105: 238-244
- Effects of perioperative central neuraxial analgesia on outcome after coronary artery bypass surgery: A meta-analysis.Anesthesiology. 2004; 101: 153-161
- Preventing postoperative pulmonary complications: The role of the anesthesiologist.Anesthesiology. 2000; 92: 1467-1472
- Efficacy of postoperative epidural analgesia: A meta-analysis.JAMA. 2003; 290: 2455-2463
- Efficacy of postoperative patient-controlled and continuous infusion epidural analgesia versus intravenous patient-controlled analgesia with opioids: A meta-analysis.Anesthesiology. 2005; 103 (quiz 1109-10): 1079-1088
- Development and validation of an acute kidney injury risk index for patients undergoing general surgery: Results from a national data set.Anesthesiology. 2009; 110: 505-515
- Efficacy of ultrasound-guided single-injection erector spinae plane block for thoracoscopic wedge resection: A prospective randomized control trial.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2022; 47: 749-754
- Impact of paravertebral blocks on analgesic and non-analgesic outcomes after video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery: A propensity matched cohort study.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0252059
Published online: December 11, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.