- •A multimodal regimen including methadone and dexmedetomidine was associated with the largest reduction in pain scores and opioid consumption
- •Opioid use immediately prior to discharge was reduced to a median of zero oral morphine equivalents with the methadone and dexmedetomidine multimodal regimen
Measurement and Main Results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
- Improved analgesia and reduced post-operative nausea and vomiting after implementation of an enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) pathway for total mastectomy.BMC Anesthesiol. 2018; 18https://doi.org/10.1186/S12871-018-0505-9
- An enhanced recovery after surgery program in orthopedic surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Orthop Surg Res. 2019; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/S13018-019-1116-Y
- Enhanced recovery after surgery pathway for patients undergoing cardiac surgery: a randomized clinical trial.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2018; 54: 491-497https://doi.org/10.1093/EJCTS/EZY100
- Results from an enhanced recovery program for cardiac surgery.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020; 159 (e7): 1393-1402https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JTCVS.2019.05.035
- Postoperative Multimodal Analgesia in Cardiac Surgery.Crit Care Clin. 2020; 36: 631-651https://doi.org/10.1016/J.CCC.2020.06.003
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of methadone during the perioperative period.Anesthesiology. 1982; 57: 458-467https://doi.org/10.1097/00000542-198212000-00005
- Role of hepatic and intestinal cytochrome P450 3A and 2B6 in the metabolism, disposition, and miotic effects of methadone.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2004; 76: 250-269https://doi.org/10.1016/J.CLPT.2004.05.003
- The efficacy and safety of dexmedetomidine in cardiac surgery patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2018; 13https://doi.org/10.1371/JOURNAL.PONE.0202620
- Effects of Perioperative Dexmedetomidine on Postoperative Mortality and Morbidity: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.Clin Ther. 2019; 41 (e4): 138-154https://doi.org/10.1016/J.CLINTHERA.2018.10.022
- Effect of Dexmedetomidine on Cardiac Surgery-Associated Acute Kidney Injury: A Meta-Analysis With Trial Sequential Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2020; 34: 603-613https://doi.org/10.1053/J.JVCA.2019.09.011
- Use of therapeutic caffeine in acute care postoperative and critical care settings: a scoping review.BMC Anesthesiol. 2021; 21https://doi.org/10.1186/S12871-021-01320-X
CALCULATING TOTAL DAILY DOSE OF OPIOIDS FOR SAFER DOSAGE. https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/pdf/calculating_total_daily_dose-a.pdf
- Development of Persistent Opioid Use After Cardiac Surgery.JAMA Cardiol. 2020; 5: 889-896https://doi.org/10.1001/JAMACARDIO.2020.1445
- Predictors of Long-Term Opioid Use After Opioid Initiation at Discharge From Medical and Surgical Hospitalizations.J Hosp Med. 2018; 13: 243-248https://doi.org/10.12788/JHM.2930
- Impact of Enhanced Recovery after Surgery and Opioid-Free Anesthesia on Opioid Prescriptions at Discharge from the Hospital: A Historical-Prospective Study.Anesth Analg. 2017; 125: 1784-1792https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000002510
- Opioids in renal failure and dialysis patients.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2004; 28: 497-504https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JPAINSYMMAN.2004.02.021
- Intraoperative Methadone for the Prevention of Postoperative Pain: A Randomized, Double-blinded Clinical Trial in Cardiac Surgical Patients.Anesthesiology. 2015; 122: 1112-1122https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000000633
- Postoperative Pain and Analgesic Requirements in the First Year after Intraoperative Methadone for Complex Spine and Cardiac Surgery.Anesthesiology. 2020; 132: 330-342https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000003025
- The effect of intraoperative methadone during pediatric cardiac surgery on postoperative opioid requirements.Paediatr Anaesth. 2020; 30: 773-779https://doi.org/10.1111/PAN.13903
- Dexmedetomidine vs propofol sedation reduces delirium in patients after cardiac surgery: A meta-analysis with trial sequential analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Crit Care. 2017; 38: 190-196https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JCRC.2016.10.026
- Dexmedetomidine, Delirium, and Adverse Outcomes: Analysis of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Adult Cardiac Surgery Database.Ann Thorac Surg. 2021; 112: 1886-1892https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ATHORACSUR.2021.03.098
- The use of propofol as an antiemetic.Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2003; 41: 67-77https://doi.org/10.1097/00004311-200341040-00007
- Clonidine and ketamine for stable hemodynamics in off-pump coronary artery bypass.Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2016; 24: 638-646https://doi.org/10.1177/0218492316663359
- Comparison of the effects of ketamine-dexmedetomidine and sevoflurane-sufentanil anesthesia on cardiac biomarkers after cardiac surgery: an observational study.Physiol Res. 2012; 61: 63-72
- Intraoperative ketamine for prevention of postoperative delirium or pain after major surgery in older adults: an international, multicentre, double-blind, randomised clinical trial.Lancet. 2017; 390: 267-275https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)31467-8
- Intraoperative Ketamine for Analgesia Post-Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery: A Randomized, Controlled, Double-Blind Clinical Trial.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2020; 34: 586-591https://doi.org/10.1053/J.JVCA.2019.10.010
- Efficacy and safety of the cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitors parecoxib and valdecoxib in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003; 125: 1481-1492https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5223(03)00125-9
- Complications of the COX-2 inhibitors parecoxib and valdecoxib after cardiac surgery.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1081-1091https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMOA050330
- Black box warning: is ketorolac safe for use after cardiac surgery?.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2014; 28: 274-279https://doi.org/10.1053/J.JVCA.2013.07.014
- Ketorolac improves graft patency after coronary artery bypass grafting: a propensity-matched analysis.Ann Thorac Surg. 2011; 92: 603-609https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ATHORACSUR.2011.04.050
- Postoperative analgesia with ketorolac is associated with decreased mortality after isolated coronary artery bypass graft surgery in patients already receiving aspirin: a propensity-matched study.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2007; 21: 820-826https://doi.org/10.1053/J.JVCA.2007.01.024
- Does the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs after cardiac surgery increase the risk of renal failure?.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010; 11: 461-467https://doi.org/10.1510/ICVTS.2010.239053
- Multimodal analgesia versus traditional opiate based analgesia after cardiac surgery, a randomized controlled trial.J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014; 9https://doi.org/10.1186/1749-8090-9-52
Publication stageIn Press Accepted Manuscript
Disclosure Statement: E.D. Wittwer: Consultant for Pacira Biosciences, Inc. The remaining authors report no disclosures or conflicts of interest.
Financial disclosure: This project was funded by a Mayo Clinic Department of Anesthesiology Small Grant Award.
IRB approval: Study was approved by the IRB on 4/30/20, IRB number 17-004249.
Korey K. Springman, MD: This contributor helped institute the first multimodal regimen.
Nathan J. Brinkman, PharmD, RPh; Mayo Clinic; Rochester, MN: This contributor helped design and implement the intraoperative components of the multimodal regimens.
Christopher J. Arendt, PharmD, RPh; Mayo Clinic College of Medicine; Rochester, MN: This contributor helped design and implement the postoperative components of the multimodal regimens.
Janelle O. Poyant, PharmD: This contributor helped implement the first multimodal regimen.